Thursday 19 May 2011

An oven thermometer....

And exactly how is that green, I hear you ask? Buying stuff? Well, it *does* make sense. I'm keeping the oven that was here before I moved in - its fairly modern, its certainly still on sale. But its already been pretty well used, or the accessories are *really* cheap, because the markings on the dials have been rubbed off, and also there are two or three different heating elements to use within the oven itself. These two things together make it *impossible* for me to know what temperature the thing is at, so I'm hoping that once I get the thermometer, which has had good reviews on Amazon, Ovenz R Eeezy will become my nickname :)

I *very* nearly bought a halogen oven a while back, to tell the truth - this fitted one that I'm waffling about is a range cooker. "Ooh lovely" people said, when I told them. "Not when you're a single person", I replied sadly - and truly, unless I batch cook in the severest way, the thing is a complete dinosaur. So, when I know how to use the thermometer, I will finally, finally experiment with batch cooking.

There are two shelves, as well as the bottom of the oven itself, of course, and the shelves themselves are twenty two inches wide, so I'm pretty sure two normal baking trays can go side by side. So, regular batch cooking, which saves money and time and will also help me nutritionally somewhat, given that I'm currently eating hardly any onions, for instance, or anything that can't be bought as a frozen vegetable, oops, apart from a few salady bits.

So, typical easy-cook oven dishes for a vegetarian who's gluten intolerant and cow's dairy intolerant (life is difficult sometimes, lol!):
- jacket potatoes.
- crumble, sweet or with a savoury sauce.
- bean stew.
- quorn sausages
- lentils and rice (classic combo - has the protein equivalent of steak).
- vegetarian bolognaise-type sauce.
- possibly pies - but there's rolling involved :( crumbles are easier :)

My fantasy is to be able to cook my own gluten free bread, even once a month would be a real treat.

1 comment: