Tuesday 17 May 2011

Compost holder in the kitchen

This has been an inner source of turmoil for me for many years ROTFLMAO.... I like composting my stuff, but I'm basically quite lazy. So I dislike washing out my compost holder.... but letting it get dirty (and mouldy, oops) by continued re-use is not good, washing it is annoying, and letting it take space in the dishwasher (now that I have one) is almost as bad.

Solution: use a strong plastic bag that a food item has been packed in! Oats, pasta, breakfast cereal, you name it, they come in a strong plastic bag that can take a few days of stuff intended for the compost bin, they can probably be reused, and they can be thrown away without bothering to wash them! They probably need to sit on a plate, true, but I can usually room in the dishwasher for a single plate....

I'm a very happy bunny right now :)

3 comments:

  1. I am so pleased that you posted this because I dont feel so guilty now. I have a lovely compost pot from Lakeland, I hate washing it and, as I type it is sitting outside by the tap waiting to be rinsed, has been for 3 days. My current compost method is a plastic bag sitting inside a mixing bowl which can be washed easily. Ssshhhh - dont tell anybody but I even hate going to the compost heap so usually put that off as long as I dare. Dont know why but it is one of my frogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about strong paper bags? LIke from flour, or we have them fron the fruit and veg shop? Then you can stick them in the compost too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cheri! I'm glad to hear it, tho I wish it wasn't a frog of mine too :)

    Jenni, absolutely, tho I don't have any bags like that in my shopping - I *aim* to, because I'll be starting to finally use flour, but at the moment I don't.

    ReplyDelete