Monday 16 May 2011

Burgess Hill Recycling Tip

I was at the tip yesterday, my second run there in a fortnight, and while I was waiting for my sister to return from her own escapades there, I was looking at the huge piles of *stuff* opposite the places where members of the public actually dump their recyclables. I must have been looking very pensive, because a staff member came up to me and asked - well, I wish I could remember the exact words he used, because it was beautifully put.

I replied something like, I was wondering when we got to be a society who had so much to throw away..... and he was lovely. He pointed out what each pile was - the stuff that would go to the new recycling plant, the earth and green materials that would be chipped or composted, and the waste that would go to the incinerator to provide electricity.

The pile that just goes to landfill was out of sight, but as he said, its getting smaller and smaller all the time.

I left much happier!

2 comments:

  1. That is good to know. The National Assembly for Wales passed a Measure last year known as The Waste Measure, apart from introducing a charge for plastic bags they have set a target for zero percent waste by ermmmmm I should remember but I cant. Anyway, my point is that here in Wales most local authorities have lots of different collections now. I have a food collection, a recycle collection for tins, paper, plastic, tin foil and an all other collection. they only collect all other rubbish once a fortnigh (food and recycling is weekly)t and I am finding it increasingly difficult to find things to put in it for collection!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats great. Orkney have done something like that, haven't they? I love that you have a food collection.... I really wish we had a free garden collection - in getting the garden in order, I have a lot more green waste than I can easily compost - I'll do it, but its awkward.

    What I didn't say about the Burgess Hill tip is that on the "incinerator" pile were a dozen or so sparrows putting their own form of recycling into action, we could just see them against a mottled background :)

    ReplyDelete