Saturday 30 July 2011

The plan

I think everything hinges for the near future on the fact that my mother is staying with me for two days in the middle of August, so I need to clear the patio and create a seating area. To accomplish this will mean the following jobs:

- clear an area for the heap of clods of earth to safely sit and moulder and decompose. At the moment, there are two heaps, one on a flagged area underneath the cob tree, and the other just sitting on the grass.

- get the old table into position on its side in this area, so I can stack the clods inside it without harming the little picket fence on that side of the garden.

- that will also mean spraying the weeds between the table and the fence, and putting mulch down, so I don't get out of control weeds in an inaccessible area.

- move the clods of grass to their new position, all binny and proper :)

- the lovely hardwood 2 x 2 timber, and scaffold boards, should probably just be moved into the *other* shed at the end of the garden so I don't have to think about them at the moment.

- before I do that, however, I should rescue the electric fan from the back of that shed, seeing as its going to be hot again. One job really does lead to another.

- not so critical in timing, but some of the leftover vinyl thats *also* hanging around the garden needs to be nailed in between the legs of the table at each end so that it becomes the sides of the bin. I *think* I can do that when its in-situ.

- this means most of the patio is now clear! So the job then is to wash my lovely aluminium bistro chairs, and the grotty old white plastic garden table I inherited earlier this year, and hey presto, I have a cleared patio area with garden seating on it!

- maybe I can use up a larger piece of the leftover vinyl by gluing it to the top of the grotty white plastic table! Eureka, another use for leftover vinyl (I think) ...


I've just thought.... maybe I can actually use the flagged area as the site of the "bin" for the clods to decompose, for this year at least. It would mean less moving things around, and less weeding-that-doesn't-make-an-immediate-difference. Hmmm.

1 comment:

  1. Phew that's a plan and a half! Great stuff.
    Don't know how big an area you have to kill the weeds, but boiling water will also be really effective, but depends on the area......

    ReplyDelete