Wednesday 27 July 2011

Water butts and showers

I'm very excited :) I've ordered two water butts from Wilkinsons Online, complete with lid, tap and stand. A big one for the back of the house, a small one for the porch at the front - altogether the total is just over £50 including delivery. I've got to get them fitted yet, of course, but I'm very pleased at all that.

In the same order, I've also got a solar shower coming. I was having a long chat about experimenting with solar energy, basically because I'd wondered about how hot it gets upstairs in my house, and thinking I could just hang one of these camping showers in the window, then hey presto, a free shower :)

Well, when I was searching for water butts, I found one of the solar showers, also at Wilkinsons - their search engine isn't very good if it turns up "solar shower" when the search terms are "water butt", but I'll forgive them, because its coming along at the princely sum of £4.68 - even if it doesn't actually work here in the UK, I've had an interesting time talking about it with friends, and its a good experiment for the long term! Plus, when I live in Spain, in some future indeterminate time, it'll definitely come in handy by then :)

2 comments:

  1. the shower sounds exciting. I once showered in a jungle with a bag of water heated over a camp fire. I bet nowadays they would have a solar shower on the Ngamba Island. Still I dont think you will using it to shower at the bottom of the garden just yet will you? Mind if you are sunbathing in the garden in your swimsuit you could hang it on the trees and give it a try to wash the lotions off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right about Ngamba, Cheri (it sounds very exciting, by the way!) And no, I won't shower in the garden - I'll experiment with how to use it - maybe hang it over the shower fitting in the bathroom, something like that. Ahem, and then pack it away. Oops, forget I said that.

    ReplyDelete