Thursday 16 September 2010

Isn't life strange

Well, was I ever unprepared to move! I thought I'd prepared so carefully - been decluttering, because this move was a downsize - this included selling stuff on Amazon and Ebay, giving to charity shops and via freecycle, and dumping things at the recycling tip, as well as the landfill bin being stuffed to the gills every week. Contacted builders beforehand about the work I wanted done. Printed out Building Control forms from the new District Authority. I even used up food I didn't want to take with me, and used T shirts and whatnot to pack some electrical goods I don't use very much. I thought I was *so* ready....

Turns out I wasn't. And one thing I crucially didn't take care of properly was my telecoms: I told Virgin Phone people I was moving, but I didn't tell Virgin Broadband. The result was that I waited almost 3 weeks longer than I should have to get my phone and broadband connected up - which was wasteful financially, if not in resources.

And because I didn't do enough planning and preparation beforehand, a lot of things that could have been recycled, weren't. They went to landfill. And it turns out I *didn't* use one of the removals firms that use green materials or collect the boxes back or anything like that, because there wasn't time to contact them - there was only two weeks between exchange and completion.

Its been a chastening experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment