Thursday 30 September 2010

The other thing that occurs to me about time saving is layers of paint. Sounds odd, I know. But the kitchen I now have has deep dark red over every wall, and its appalling, frankly - when I switch the light on at night, it doesn't make any difference really :(

My sister gave me some kitchen paint - excellent! Brilliant white too, so thats fine. But it needs a minimum of 3 coats, and could actually do with a fourth. And in contrast, a friend came round and swore that the One Coat paint would cover even this dismal crimson in one coat, as long as I did it with a roller. Is she exaggerating? Whats in it that it will give such coverage? I know that oil based paints are not only bad for the environment they make me feel sick for at least two days afterwards.... is One Coat paint as bad? And is *any* kitchen paint bad - why is it more stain resistant, why is it wipeable?

And another green issue in all of this - this kitchen paint, I've been given it. Is it more green to throw it away unused because its not green, or at least use it now that I have it, use the resources that have been taken out of the earth and give them meaning, rather than discarding them uselessly?

1 comment:

  1. I'd use it anyway, better than being wasetful I'd say (unless you can find some kind of community project to donate it to if it's going to make you ill? That's better than throwing it away!)

    But then I speak as someone who has her entire living room painted a very dark red, so I can't be trusted on matters of painting... ;)

    xx

    ReplyDelete