Friday 24 September 2010

Getting back on track

Last weekend, I went to one of the eco house Open House events, run by The Sustainable Energy Academy, which is a charity with the following aims:

"finding new SuperHomes, assessing their carbon savings and coordinating Open House events. We also feed into reports on energy efficient refurbishment and offer advice to organisations promoting energy efficiency and renewable technologies."

Sounds good to me. This is the one I went to visit:

http://www.sustainable-energyacademy.org.uk/get-inspired/superhome-locator

It was beautiful. And energy efficient. And light, airy, easy to clean, All Good Things.

I've had lots more paid work than usual this week, so working on my own house has been difficult, but I did combine the visit to the Superhome with a trip to Burgess Hill, to the Wilkinsons there - a very different level of quality, but still, not bad. A steel shower curtain rail, a brushed steel curtain pole for the front door and the associated windows, plus bogstandard, very cheap lampshades to take the glare of some of the bulbs here .... about £37, not bad at all.

And I was working hard on the garden - I'm getting the buddleias back into shape, so they don't fall against the spiffy new fence over the winter. I'm keeping and shaping the beautiful hazel tree, which is home to lots of birds and squirrels. I'm definitely getting rid of most of the rhodendrons - most! in a garden this size, fifty feet long, they're ridiculous, as well as no good for native wildlife.

I plan to widen the southern facing border to plant things that I love - more of that later - and some foodcrops too - but that will have to wait till we've found the drains so the second toilet can be installed, and till the fence is weatherproofed, and we've finished tramping all over the border.

Its a juggling act.

No comments:

Post a Comment