Saturday 3 July 2010

Installing a second toilet

The ethics of putting in a second toilet in a home that only has one occupant are problematic ... except that work people visit me at home, and to use the single toilet currently there, they'd have to go through my living room and see my kitchen, which loses me my privacy. So a second toilet it is....

I want it as small as possible, to be as efficient as possible space-wise, so I'm looking at compact ranges. I also want the washbasin to be one of those corner ones, they look very space saving. Add a hook on the door for a towel, and thats that - I'm not interested in looking at hand driers, for such a low traffic area they're not necessary, and paper towels are ecologically horrendous.

Personal quirks: yep, I have them! I want a washbasin thats hung on the wall, not a pedestal one. That may be my only option if I have a corner basin, in any case, but I loathe pedestals - to me, with the hidey-hole inside them that can't really be reached by anyone except a contortionist, they're heaven sent for spiders. And I want the inside of the toilet to be smooth - the design of the toilet I currently have (sorry to be gross) is not good, it has what amount to corners on the inside, which are extremely difficult to clean. Ease of maintenance implies all sorts of things. Who wants to be cleaning a toilet when they could be sitting in the garden?

Oh, and I really like the sound of a "soft close toilet seat" :)

Equipment once its being used also has to be as green as possible, of course, which means using toilet paper made from recycled materials, and green cleaning materials - not necessarily branded goods, either. I'm going to investigate what people have been writing about white vinegar, for instance. But in case the thing is up and running before I've done that, then yes, branded eco goods it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment