Thursday 10 November 2011

Taking back the world

Well, just as I start the blog up again, I've decided to lay off the garden work for a week so I can do my accounts, sob ....

However, this is very green! Honestly!

In the first place, I'm doing *all* my accounts this year - I'm not employing the accountants I've used for 15 years or so. They do less and less work each year, for more and more money, and simply don't talk to me helpfully. Since my income dipped again last year, I thought I'd better take my life in my hands, and actually *look* at the tax return that they've been submitting to the Inland Revenue on my behalf. And whaddaya know, its pretty simple - even for me, and there's overseas money involved too .... I may be crying in my spilt milk that I ever said such a thing, but at the moment, its progressing.

It feels very green to do the accounts myself, oddly - its empowering! I've given away my power to a technician I've never even met, and now I'm taking it back! I'm very happy about that!

And in the second place - because I felt quite lairy of doing all of this myself, I set out all the paperwork in the kitchen. Luckily, I live alone, and don't even have cats at the moment. The window in here is much taller than the one in my office, so I have a beautiful view of the sky and the sunset. And I'm using my kitchen, and the beautiful little kitchen table my sister bought me as a moving in present :)

What can be greener than that? To use what we have, to use our own growing skills, to reclaim our power. I'm chuffed!

2 comments:

  1. I'm dead chuffed for you - the tax thing can be daunting, but you're tackling it with great green gusto!

    How very clever and brave of you. I held my breath a while back and did mine too, funny how after you've done them you feel so much better and like you say all the greener for doing it yourself.

    I don't think cats are very good at taxes but they are great company when doing paperwork, unless they decide to play with it.............

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember you doing your accounts! That was quite a few years at once, wasn't it - horrible, I know.

    Laughing at the cats helping with the paperwork - one of mine used to sit right on top of the monitor, and dangle her tail over the screen. Inconvenient but adorable :)

    ReplyDelete