Monday 28 November 2011

Foraging for sloes

I've never lived in a place where I could walk to so much wild fruit! This year, I picked a lot of sloes - some of them too early, around September - and I actually made sloe sort-of-chutney with them. I combined them with foraged apples and a *lot* of supermarket sugar, and got 4 little tubs like this:

I've now used up one tub, and I've decided that though I will forage sloes next year, and forage even more of them, I won't bother making chutney or anything similar. It needs a *lot* of sugar to make it passable, without screwing your face up and going ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww... but I'm using it in savoury dishes, and that just doesn't seem right.



Today, for instance, was a forage-in-the-fridge/freezer day, and I had some end of packet frozen cauliflower and some slow-cooked dried peas, plus a few cashew nuts. So I threw them all together with a bit of my sloe chutney, sloshed in some water plus a bit of avocado oil afterwards, and ate that as a stew/soup. It was nice, actually, but it didn't need sugar in it!

So next year, I'll forage lots of sloes and make a sloe liquor, frozen into small portions, and I'll put it in whatever I fancy, knowing that its just pure fruit liquor. And before I get some comments about sloe gin - well, I don't drink gin, I'm really sorry! I know I should, with sloe trees being so close, but it just doesn't work for me. I wish it did, the feedback about it sounds brilliant :)

1 comment:

  1. Pity you don't like sloe gin (although it doesn't taste even slightly of gin).

    Great foraging - utterly jealous of course but I'm happy this year the elderflower cordial I got from our mutual chum is packed into bottles in the fridge still and delish!

    Well done on the freezer foraging.....you intrepid freezer explorer you.

    ReplyDelete