Tuesday 26 October 2010

Making the best use out of what you've got ....

I'm in the middle of fiddling about in the kitchen .... there's a chimney breast in there with floor-based cupboards that are mostly, but not entirely fake. The cupboards are entirely empty of shelves, because there's a gap of only 7.5" before the chimney breast starts. But the insides of the cupboards have those little holes for pegs at a couple of points, so I've bought the little pegs (£1.49 on ebay!) and banged them gently into the holes. Now all I need to do is saw some shelving wood I have, glue some readymade cork strips I have onto the back edges to stop stuff falling off the other end, and hey presto, lots more storage - well, the equivalent of one big cupboard, anyway - but *much* more accessible than one big cupboard.

I'm really pleased with this - I want quality in my kitchen, in my whole house, I really want to get over "make do and mend" - but this is a setup thats irresistible. The holes are already there, the pegs are purpose made, I already had the cork strips (a couple of them were used as a minimalist notice board), I have some pva glue thats to be used as plasticiser for mortaring work, the shelving wood was in the loft and brought down when my own insulation was added to what's already up there - it just feels like using what I've got to the max :)

No comments:

Post a Comment