Monday 23 January 2012

The 52 week salad challenge: several weeks on!

Oops! I got distracted by actually doing, y'know? And I have, honest, and I mostly took pictures while I was doing. Only fair, innit!

So, week 2, I nearly got behind. A little supermarket pot of basil was crying out to me to be rescued, so I bought it, for 70p. It must have been last year's, because there were only two stalks, but they both looked like mature plants, well, almost, so I put them in their own little pots, cut them down to have an easier time, and they're both really happy still - well, mostly happy, I think I didn't quite take off enough leaves.

What I *did* take off, I combined with the sprouted mung beans, and ate. Go me!


This is the little basil plant, ready to be divided.

Done! There's a lot of new growth showing on them now, I'm sure they're going to make it, no basil plant funerals here any time soon. The cuttings are sitting in water at the moment, hopefully they'll take root, and I'll have some more. When I'm ready, I'll buy a couple of supermarket pots and make a little basil forest, but not yet. Happy with this, tho!


The sprouts from the first week went really well with the basil leaves, and this is how they looked together with some chili sauce - thats from Approved Foods, bless them, I haven't grown my own chilis yet.

This week, the project has been to grow some cress seeds - I confess, the seeds were Best Before 2009, but they did eventually sprout.
This is how they looked a few days ago. Today (I'll include an update on the next week's) they're looking more like cress, but I don't like it nearly as much as the sprouting - I'm quite prepared to add sprouting to my weekly schedule, but this isn't great, though I might feel better about it if I used a little layer of compost, rather than kitchen towel **shruggy smiley**

All in all, although I might be one of the least active on this challenge, I'm really pleased I'm taking part - must remember to post over there at the end of the month. And this week's challenge? I have some lettuce seeds. I suspect they're as old as the cress seeds, but we'll see :)

No comments:

Post a Comment