Wednesday 21 December 2011

Am I helping pensioners or exploiting them ???

Well, the collecting leaves for leafmould saga took an unexpected turn last week. I was out there collecting my latest few bags, and I saw an elderly lady in the pensioners' bungalows that face onto the little copse, who was trying to clear her pathway of all the oak leaves - of course, they get more and more slippy the longer they lie on concrete paths. So I offered to help her, rather than pick up the leaves from the public area just outside her gate, and she accepted.




So I picked up an extra bag right there, and then she offered me some other bags she'd stored at the back of her garden, ready for her son to take them to the tip. So when I went back to pick *those* up, she gave me a beautiful metal wheelbarrow to take them home in - I was a bit concerned she was giving me too much, and kept checking, but she seemed sure ...

And she said she'd put out any other bags she had by the gate, for me to pick up as I went past.



And then there they were! Three more! And another four after that!

And a lady a couple of doors down from her, she joined in too - so there were another two bags today!

I really am going to be able to put leafmould over the *whole* of my garden now, I'm really chuffed.

No comments:

Post a Comment