Saturday 4 June 2011

Insect screens

I've been checking these out ever since I went to Grand Designs in April (was it April? good heavens, I can't remember ...) Anyway, prices have varied between £165 and £230 for half an ordinary kitchen window to be flyscreened, which seems a huge amount of money.

And yet I was still willing to pay it, until I saw one close up, that a salesman brought to my house. The handles were naff, no other word for it - real 50s retro, in other word no style at all, because this thing was otherwise in a normal, sleek modern style. And the closure of a good part of the screen was done with a brush, the sort of brush that acts as a draught excluder. Seems a lot to pay for that. And some of the screens that are that price are clipon things, where you turn four little woggles, one at each corner, to hold it on. Some need to be built out, to take account of clearance for the window handles, all sorts of things that stop the screens being a smooth, beautiful thing of, um, beauty.

Then I was at a garden centre today and saw it, in a roll along with the netting for climbing plants and fleece for frost protection. Insect screening! Eureka! It was £1.99 per metre, and its about 60" wide. I know the figures should be transplanted, but no such luck. I bought 3 metres, totalling £5.97, and my little tape measure says that its 60" once the bound edges are cut off (tho there's a good bit of edging I'll be leaving on, thank you very much).

So, its a home made version, but I'll have it as soon as the end of this weekend, with none of the hassle of workmen and the smell of glue. Cost is as follows:
£5.97 3 metres of insect screening.
£4.80 2 metres white velcro for the white uPVC - this was a guess, I may need more.
£4.80 return fare to the garden centre, in the interests of not over-egging the pudding :)

Total: £15.57, for 3 windows. I'm very happy about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment